10 Things I Learned at the Arizona Family History Expo:
1. Did you know that men over the age of 45 also registered for the draft in World War II?
2. Did you know that Ancestry.com's Member Connectivity allows you to see live feeds of recent uploads by others who are researching your family lines, and you can see who is accessing and linking the photos you upload?
4. Did you know that when searching Footnote.com, if you use the keyword search for names, it also searches newspapers? Using the name search does not.
6. One tip on immigration records: compare the indices at Ellis Island to Ancestry.com -- may find different transcriptions.
7. Revolutionary War records: In addition to Ancestry.com and Footnote.com, did you know that Heritage Quest Online (available at most libraries) has Revolutionary War pension records?
9. Did you know that 10% of the U.S. population participated in the Civil War? And, upwards of 10% lost their life in the Civil War? Unfortunately if your ancestor was from South Carolina, you won't find any soldier units there - they had to join other units.
10. Only about 1/3 of World War I records and World War II records still remain (losses due to unfortunate fires at facilities). However, did you know that about 2/3rds of these records may have also been filed with local County Recorders? Check your County Recorder records for DD-214 separation papers.
The Family Histoy Expos offered by www.fhexpos.com offer a great variety of classes, from beginner to experienced, and at a reasonable rate. There are so many classes offered that you cannot attend all, however, you can download the syllabus for every class, which are still excellent resources.
Will I be attending this year's Arizona Family History Expo? Yes! In fact, I will be presenting one of the classes at the Expo and will also be a guest Blogger of Honor. Not only I am a convert, I am hooked! We hope to see you at the Arizona Family History Expo on January 21-22, 2011.