Sunday, January 9, 2011

Is Genealogy Indexing More Rewarding Than Playing Farm Town?

Recently I was asked to consider becoming my church's Stake Indexing Director.  This job would oversee and encourage volunteer indexing of historic genealogy records at the FamilySearch.org indexing website.  What I was most interested in was obtaining the statistics of work performed by current indexers in our Stake so we could publish it in our Phoenix Family History Library newsletter (since I am the newsletter editor).

I am no stranger to indexing, and in fact I enjoy it.  When I looked at the statistics, I was proud to see my name listed, until it showed my numbers.  Shamefully my stats were very dismal for 2010.  Something must be wrong?!  I then thought about where I had spent quite a bit of time during 2010 - then I remembered!  Facebook - my 6 farms in Farm Town.

Don't get me wrong - sometimes you may need to do something mindless like playing these games.  However, I knew my time spent on indexing vs. Facebook games was not even close to being equal.

Since my reawakening, I started doing more indexing and less farming.  I am also loving the fact that FamilySearch.org has listed the Indexing project under "Give Back" on their website. That does say it all, doesn't it?


I have already doubled my total names indexed for 2010 - and it has only been a couple of weeks.  In fact I am indexing US Naval Enlistment Registers from 1855-1891, and I love seeing all of different home towns and countries of the sailors and recording their complexion as dark, fair, ruddy or florid (which I had never heard of before).


If you have ever used the FamilySearch.org website and had success finding a few family names, as a thank you try indexing a few names in return.  Think about how spending a few minutes of your time could save someone decades of searching.  There is no cost to indexing, and it is easy.  You can do a little or a lot.  Here's the link:  FamilySearch Indexing.

Send me your indexing totals!  I know others are putting me to shame, but I am on my way to redeeming myself in 2011!

1 comment:

  1. I'm an indexer and arbitrator. It's a great activity to do while watching tv. Plus it feels good to give back!

    I'm close to 40,000 for all time, about 1,300 so far in January.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...